Fish Out of Water
BY Michael Fairman
June 21 2009 11:00 PM ET
What do you think gay soap fans can expect from this couple? I think the journey for them is going to be what people should watch for. More than anything being so specific that it is only a gay story lineâ€¦ it's a love story line, and a story about their journeys and dealing with it, and how they react with each other.
Has Fish always had feelings for Kyle? It's like with your "first" of anything. This was sort of a first time in college and there were feelings then, and they are there now. It's a matter of how you deal with them.
Has Kyle been hiding his sexuality? I don't think it was ever revealed.
Do you consider yourself an "openly gay" actor? I do.
Any mixed emotions about letting people in the industry know you are gay? It was something I thought about. Maybe I should have thought about it more, but it was like I wanted to put myself first before my career. I did not want to go through life having to deal with extra issues when I am dealing with trying to get a job. So I went, "OK, this is me. Either you like or you don't. Hopefully you can accept it, and if you can't, bummer. If you can hire me, great." It was that sort of thing.
We seem to be in a different time, as far as having gay story lines represented in daytime. How do you feel we are doing, as far as equal representation? I think there is still a long away to go. I think there is definitely progress. With everything going on in the U.S. today, it's extremely relevant to have this story line with the issue of gay marriage and Proposition 8.
What are your feelings on Proposition 8? We were devastated here in California when the ban was not overturned. I don't know. I don't want to start swearing and throwing things, but before I can get angry, I can't stop laughing because I cannot believe it's 2009 and we are still referring to people as a 'gay' community and a 'straight' community instead of a 'human' community. That people are still denied rights, it's beyond my comprehension.
I remember voting for Obama and thinking, This is great. I am voting for the first African-American president, and on the same ballot I am voting no on Proposition 8, and so now we all have equality. Then to see that Prop. 8 passed, my hopes seemed to tank! It was shocking, too. I was pretty sure it would work, but slowly and surely if you look at Iowa and New Hampshire, we are getting there. Hopefully, New York, shortly.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage 53 min 20 sec ago
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual 1 hour 2 min ago
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 2 hours 7 min ago
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 2 hours 40 min ago
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM