BY Brandon Voss
November 13 2009 4:50 PM ET
Are you pushing your drag agenda?
Absolutely. We’re trying to take drag to a different level and expose it to Middle America. Most people only see drag queens as bitchy hookers, which is so not true. We’re people. I’ve gotten a lot of response from the drag community thanking me for doing this.
Wanda’s first introduction of you was as her “favorite drag queen.” Did she clarify your gender in case Middle America didn’t get the joke?
That was definitely brought up in rehearsal. So many people told me, “You’re kind of passable. Some people might think you’re a woman, so let’s just hit the nail on the head now.”
“Passable” is a pretty nice compliment for a drag queen, right?
I guess so, but I don’t know what they’re looking at. I mean, come on, I tower over Wanda. And I’m not skinny enough to be a showgirl.
What do you add to the show?
Wanda really wanted to add a gay element to the show without rubbing it everyone’s face that she was gay. So here I come! I definitely add a much gayer slant than Wanda does.
Should she butch it up?
No, Wanda just needs to be Wanda. I’ve known her for three years and what you see is what you get with her.
How did you meet?
Wanda came to one of my shows at the Ice Palace on Fire Island three summers ago. She’s out there with friends every year, so the next year she came back. Then I ended up performing at her wedding in Palm Springs. This past summer, she came up to me before my show started and said, “I’m doing a show on Fox and I want to talk to you about being on it.” She had had a couple, of course, so later she came up on stage, grabbed the microphone, and asked the audience if I should be on her show.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 1 hour 7 min ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 2 hours 19 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM