What Other '80s Teen Stars Have to Say About Equality
BY Josh Hinkle
March 07 2012 2:15 AM ET
Comic Geri Jewell, who played the cousin of Blair Warner (Lisa Whelchel) on the long-running sitcom The Facts of Life, last year published her memoir I'm Walking as Straight as I Can: Transcending Disability in Hollywood and Beyond, in which she came out publicly as lesbian.
Whelchel's conservative views are well-known. In 2006, when answering a question from a mother who thought her son might be gay, Whelchel wrote on her website that she believes "it is possible to leave behind a homosexual lifestyle" and recommended "ex-gay" ministries such as Exodus.
Mindy Cohn, who costarred in the series as Natalie, has long embraced her LGBT following. Last year Cohn spoke to The Advocate about her relationship with the gay community, saying, "I don’t know why, but by God’s grace I’ve always had really close relationships with gay people."
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- #TBT: Halloween Exhibitionism
- Op-ed: We Must End PrEP Segregation