What Other '80s Teen Stars Have to Say About Equality
BY Josh Hinkle
March 07 2012 2:15 AM ET
Comic Geri Jewell, who played the cousin of Blair Warner (Lisa Whelchel) on the long-running sitcom The Facts of Life, last year published her memoir I'm Walking as Straight as I Can: Transcending Disability in Hollywood and Beyond, in which she came out publicly as lesbian.
Whelchel's conservative views are well-known. In 2006, when answering a question from a mother who thought her son might be gay, Whelchel wrote on her website that she believes "it is possible to leave behind a homosexual lifestyle" and recommended "ex-gay" ministries such as Exodus.
Mindy Cohn, who costarred in the series as Natalie, has long embraced her LGBT following. Last year Cohn spoke to The Advocate about her relationship with the gay community, saying, "I don’t know why, but by God’s grace I’ve always had really close relationships with gay people."
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana
- Tim Cook on Standing Up to Discrimination: 'It’s Time for All of Us'
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media