WATCH: Chris Colfer Tells How Kurt and Blaine Helped Gay Teens
BY Jeremy Kinser
June 19 2012 2:47 PM ET
Chris Colfer discusses the impact the relationship between his character Kurt and Darren Criss's Blaine on Glee has had on viewers during an interview hosted by Gold Derby's Tom O'Neil.
While answering questions about the competition for Emmy nominations from his bedroom via Skype, Colfer also discusses the evolution of his character on the musical series. O'Neill mentions speaking with creator Ryan Murphy about a controversy surrounding the straight couples on the show being more affectionate than Kurt and Blaine. Colfer says the depiction on the series reflects reality. "There are more heterosexual couples that can show affection freely in schools than gay couples can," Colfer says. "You have to give Ryan credit. He put two gay boys losing their virginity together on national television — that's unheard of." The actor also tells how, during a difficult time while bullied kids were committing suicide, Kurt and Blaine have helped younger viewers learn to accept themselves.
It's shaping up to be another big year for the out 22-year-old, who will likely score his third Emmy nomination next month. Following several film festival screenings, Struck By Lightning, a comedy written by and starring Colfer, has been picked up for U.S. distribution by Tribeca Film for a late 2012 release.
Watch the interview with Colfer below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM