Britney Storms Off X FactorAfter Drag Impersonation
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 10 2012 6:48 PM ET
Britney Spears became uncomfortable watching a male contestant partially dressed as a woman perform her hit "(You Drive Me) Crazy," reports People magazine.
During yesterday's auditions in Greensboro, N.C., a young man auditioned wearing glasses and a denim jacket butchered Spears' 1999 hit. Spears eventually walked away from the table and was quickly followed by her fellow judges Demi Lovato and L.A. Reid.
"I had to fight real hard to get here," the tearful man said, adding that he was recently on welfare and because he couldn't afford his phone bill, he had nearly missed his X Factor call.
Britain's Daily Mail quotes an anonymous witness saying, "Britney was looking pretty unimpressed and the next thing all three of them just walked off. Simon was left looking lonely on his own at the desk."
Cowell seemed as unimpressed as the other three. "I don't think she quite understood your tribute," he said to the young man. "You've got to be able to sing in tune. There wasn't a note in tune."
Spears commented on the performance after returning to the judges' table. "I really respect the tribute," she said. "It was really nice, but I don't feel it's for X Factor. Sorry, sweetie"
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- Mississippi Marriage Ban Struck Down
- Op-ed: Why I Started a Transgender Support Line