Classic Movies Through an LGBT Lens
BY Trudy Ring
November 16 2012 5:49 AM ET
Above: Carole Lombard and Fred MacMurray in Swing High, Swing Low
“There was always the implication that Clark Gable did not want to work with a gay director,” Maietta says. “That is absolutely false.” The supposedly macho Gable was actually a somewhat introverted man and did not have particular animus toward gay people, Maietta says, and what’s more, he didn’t have the power to have the director fired.
The real problem with Cukor, he says, was his concentration on the film’s smaller, more intimate scenes rather than its epic sweep, which irritated producer David O. Selznick no end. Victor Fleming came in and brought the epic touch, while Cukor worked a few weeks on another Fleming film, The Wizard of Oz. There, Maietta says, Cukor made the valuable contribution of removing Judy Garland’s blond wig and excessive makeup, giving her Dorothy the more natural look that has been a key part of the movie’s enduring appeal. So all ended well.
LGBT film fans can count on more happy endings, along with some of our people’s history, from Here’s Hollywood. “There wouldn’t be a Hollywood if it wasn’t for us, and people need to know that,” he says. “I’m really excited to be a part of this.”
Here’s Hollywood is available exclusively on Here TV and Here TV Online. On most major cable providers, Here TV can be found by entering the “On Demand” menu, selecting “Premium,” and then selecting “Here TV on Demand.” You can also sign up for Here TV Online, the network’s premium online subscription video player, at http://premium.heretv.com. For more on Tony Maietta, visit TonyMaietta.net.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 12 min 20 sec ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 29 min 40 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 52 min 43 sec ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 58 min 46 sec ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 1 hour 54 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 2 hours 24 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 11:07 AM