Charlotte Rae's Memoir Discusses Gay Husband
BY Trudy Ring
January 21 2013 4:31 PM ET
Charlotte Rae, the actress famed for playing beloved housemother Edna Garrett on The Facts of Life, is seeking a publisher for her, which discusses, among other things, the fact that her former husband, John Strauss, was gay, the New York Post reports.
While Rae is known to be supportive of LGBT people, such as Facts of Life costar Geri Jewell, she reveals in the memoir that Strauss’s coming-out shook her up, as such a revelation likely would do to any straight spouse: “John’s secret confirmed my feelings of inferiority,” Rae writes. “That I was less than a woman. ... That I didn’t deserve to be loved and valued.”
Rae was married to Strauss, a composer and musical director, for 25 years. They divorced in the mid 1970s, and he died in 2011.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film 21 min 9 sec ago
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out 53 min 22 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain 56 min 27 sec ago
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny 1 hour 11 min ago
- Women The Incredibly True Adventures of 2 Lesbian Penguins in Love in Israel 1 hour 15 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Silencing a #SharedGirlHood on Social Media 3:20 PM
- Politics Putin's Top Priority: 'Equal Terms' for Olympic Athletes 3:15 PM