Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for March
BY Brandon Voss
March 21 2013 7:00 AM ET
The Lying Lesson
Carol Kane stars as Bette Davis? That’s all you really need to know about this juicy comedic thriller by out playwright Craig Lucas of Prelude to a Kiss and Longtime Companion fame. When an elderly Ms. Davis — captured in spirit more than impersonated — visits Maine in 1981 to buy an old lover’s house, she finds an awkward new assistant full of secrets. “This play is a damn lie,” Lucas writes in his author’s notes, but it’s also damn funny.
Atlantic Theater Company, through March 31.
Hit the Wall
Tackling the dawn of the gay-rights movement outside Stonewall Inn on June 27, 1969, out playwright Ike Holter's rock-driven drama means well and looks great, particularly its stylized dance and fight choreography. Unfortunately, the stereotypical composite characters — snap queens, Judy Garland-mourning drag diva, butch lesbian, one cartoonishly bigoted cop, etc. — don’t do the riots justice. “I was there,” they repeat, but we never feel like we were.
Barrow Street Theatre, open-ended.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM