Expect a Chick-fil-A Showdown This Weekend in Atlanta
BY Neal Broverman
August 27 2012 4:26 PM ET
Protesters plan to descend on Atlanta's Georgia Dome at the end of the week to greet revelers at the Chick-fil-A kickoff game and voice their disapproval with the corporate sponsor's homophobia.
The chicken chain sponsors two football games that inaugurate the college football season — Tennessee will take on North Carolina State on Friday and Auburn battles Clemson on Saturday — at the Georgia Dome, not far from its headquarters. Protesters hope to remind sports enthusiasts that Chick-fil-A has given millions to groups that work to strip gays of their rights and that its CEO is proudly homophobic.
“We’ll be there to protest Chick-fil-A and urge a boycott,” said Atlanta activist Drew Washington. “We’ll also be focusing on the other sponsors of the game, like Coca-Cola, AT&T, Delta. It would be nice to hear from them that they aren’t like Chick-fil-A.”
Chick-fil-A protesters hope additional LGBT activists will join them in Atlanta, especially since many are in the region protesting the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., as well as next week's Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM