Expect a Chick-fil-A Showdown This Weekend in Atlanta
BY Neal Broverman
August 27 2012 3:26 PM ET
Protesters plan to descend on Atlanta's Georgia Dome at the end of the week to greet revelers at the Chick-fil-A kickoff game and voice their disapproval with the corporate sponsor's homophobia.
The chicken chain sponsors two football games that inaugurate the college football season — Tennessee will take on North Carolina State on Friday and Auburn battles Clemson on Saturday — at the Georgia Dome, not far from its headquarters. Protesters hope to remind sports enthusiasts that Chick-fil-A has given millions to groups that work to strip gays of their rights and that its CEO is proudly homophobic.
“We’ll be there to protest Chick-fil-A and urge a boycott,” said Atlanta activist Drew Washington. “We’ll also be focusing on the other sponsors of the game, like Coca-Cola, AT&T, Delta. It would be nice to hear from them that they aren’t like Chick-fil-A.”
Chick-fil-A protesters hope additional LGBT activists will join them in Atlanta, especially since many are in the region protesting the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., as well as next week's Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C.
- World News Elton John's Weekend Concerts in Russia to Proceed 7 min 29 sec ago
- Entertainment News WATCH: Leslie Jordan 'Go Bold' With Models to Crash Super Bowl 1 hour 25 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Parenting Q&A: Darren Spedale, Co-Parenting Pioneer, Talks About His Latest Venture December 05 2013 10:40 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM