Mario Lopez's Chick-fil-A Cravings Get Shamed on Twitter
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 17 2012 5:06 PM ET
Without mentioning the uproar over the brand's antigay history, Mario Lopez gave a seemingly oblivious shout-out to Chick-fil-A on Twitter that has him in trouble.
On October 7 the host of Extra tweeted, "Why does it seem like I always crave Chick-fil-A on Sundays?? #Frustrating."
Now he's drawing ire from the likes of Dan Savage and RuPaul's Drag Race contestant Willam Belli. Savage, an out columnist and founder of the It Gets Better Project, replied in a tweet to Lopez today, "Because you're a thoughtless jerk who just alienated the gay men you expected to buy your new line of crappy manpanties?"
Lopez does have a new line of men's underwear, called Rated M, that he has been promoting. In January, Lopez spoke with The Advocate about the underwear line, and praised his gay fans. When asked how gay fans are different from straight fans, Lopez said, "Gay fans are very loyal. And very cool. I'm honored to be embraced by the gay community. They're the smartest and the hippest. They determine what's hot out there."
Chick-fil-A restaurants are closed on Sundays, a reflection of COO Dan Cathy's assertion that he runs his business on "biblical principles." In July, Cathy ignited a media firestorm with his comments and the company's $5 million worth of donations to antigay groups.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 7 min 45 sec ago
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1 hour 9 min ago
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 1 hour 31 min ago
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 1 hour 38 min ago
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM