Mario Lopez's Chick-fil-A Cravings Get Shamed on Twitter
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 17 2012 5:06 PM ET
Without mentioning the uproar over the brand's antigay history, Mario Lopez gave a seemingly oblivious shout-out to Chick-fil-A on Twitter that has him in trouble.
On October 7 the host of Extra tweeted, "Why does it seem like I always crave Chick-fil-A on Sundays?? #Frustrating."
Now he's drawing ire from the likes of Dan Savage and RuPaul's Drag Race contestant Willam Belli. Savage, an out columnist and founder of the It Gets Better Project, replied in a tweet to Lopez today, "Because you're a thoughtless jerk who just alienated the gay men you expected to buy your new line of crappy manpanties?"
Lopez does have a new line of men's underwear, called Rated M, that he has been promoting. In January, Lopez spoke with The Advocate about the underwear line, and praised his gay fans. When asked how gay fans are different from straight fans, Lopez said, "Gay fans are very loyal. And very cool. I'm honored to be embraced by the gay community. They're the smartest and the hippest. They determine what's hot out there."
Chick-fil-A restaurants are closed on Sundays, a reflection of COO Dan Cathy's assertion that he runs his business on "biblical principles." In July, Cathy ignited a media firestorm with his comments and the company's $5 million worth of donations to antigay groups.
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 6:00 AM
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM