Mario Lopez Shows Off With Rated M
BY Winston Gieseke
January 05 2012 1:05 AM ET
According to Mario Lopez, the “M” in Rated M, the actor’s new underwear line, “stands for masculine, modern, Mario ... make it whatever you want it to be.” And while some may see putting your initial on a sexy line of briefs, trunks, long johns, and cycle shorts (and then donning them in an ad campaign) as little more than a vanity move (or an excuse to strip down and show off your famous abs), the unstoppable Lopez — who has already made his mark on TV, movies, Broadway, and publishing — has his sights set on something bigger than mere Marky Markdom.
The Advocate: Congrats on the underwear line.
Mario Lopez: Thank you! Have you had a chance to see it?
I’m actually wearing the gloxinia-colored trunk as we speak —
And even though it doesn’t look as good on me as it does on you, I’m a fan.
Thank you very much. It’s comfortable, right?
Yeah, definitely. But who came up with “gloxinia?”
It was a collaborative effort. We just wanted to have fun and be a little cheeky, but at the same time give it a sexy undertone. But mostly we wanted it to be a premium quality and really comfortable.
You’ve done so many things in your career — acting, hosting, dancing, you’ve written two books — why underwear?
I wanted to get into apparel, specifically fitness apparel. I’ve always liked the sort of fitness clothes that don’t look like fitness clothes. The kind you can rock with jeans and be casual. I wanted to get into that realm, and we just decided to start with underwear. I get teased because I’m always walking around in my underwear. I’m like Nature Boy — just very comfortable, I guess. There are also undershirts and T-shirts and little cool headbands that I work out in.
Sounds like you have your sights set on a whole wardrobe line.
Ideally, yeah. That’s the dream. But I wanted to start off with this and see how it goes. We’re starting from the bare necessities and working our way out.
You do realize that an underwear line by Mario Lopez featuring Mario Lopez is the perfect gift from you to the gay community —
Was that your intention? Be honest.
It wasn’t my intention but I’m flattered that you say that. I'm honored.
Where did the tagline “For manful men and their very special guests” come from? And does it refer to what I think it refers to?
I think so! [Laughs] We wanted to let the mind wander there. And like I said, we just wanted to have fun with it. Because that’s my personality. I work hard, but I like to have fun while doing it.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 2 hours 56 min ago
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM