WATCH: Jimmy Fallon Un-banishes Joan Rivers in Tonight Show Debut
BY Jami Smith
February 18 2014 12:10 PM ET
Monday was a historical night as Jimmy Fallon took over as the sixth host (seventh if you count Jay Leno twice) of The Tonight Show and returned the broadcast to New York after nearly 40 years in Los Angeles.
"I'm Jimmy Fallon and I'll be your host, for now," quipped Fallon, who appeared visibly nervous and excited. "I just want to do the best I can... and if you guys let me stick around long enough, maybe I'll get the hang of it."
To help christen the first show, every celebrity in New York last night stopped by for a cameo, including Lady Gaga (who will be Fallon's guest on Tuesday's show), Robert DeNiro, Sarah Jessica Parker, Tina Fey, Stephen Colbert, and even Joan Rivers, who was banned (more on that here) from The Tonight Show by Johnny Carson in 1987 and couldn't return until Fallon lifted the ban.
Watch Fallon's first monologue as host of The Tonight Show:
And here we have Jimmy collecting money from celebrity friends (including Rivers) who didn't think he would get the gig at The Tonight Show:
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?
- Op-ed: When Right vs. Left Becomes Right vs. Wrong
- Boxer Manny Pacquiao Denies Making Antigay Remarks
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- Argentina Makes History With Three-Parent Birth Certificate
- Op-ed: Helping Gays Find Love Isn't Easy, Especially In the South