Op-ed: Progress Toward Equality
BY Anne Hathaway
November 05 2012 4:15 AM ET
A voter must follow his or her heart on which issues move them to vote.
A year ago, I would have told you that my brother Michael was one of the main reasons I wanted President Obama to stay in office. When he told my family he was gay, we told him we loved him and that we would support him — in this election that means supporting the candidate who shares our values on gay rights.
President Obama's public announcement of support for marriage equality and the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" were joyful days for my family and gave us hope for more progress toward equality under President Obama and Vice President Biden.
Now I find myself doing something I never thought I would have to do — in addition to fighting for LGBT rights, this year I must cast my vote to protect my own rights as a woman.
How did we get here? When I look at the candidates' messages, I can't imagine a clearer choice. On one side, someone who doesn't support a person's right to marry whoever they love. Someone who doesn't understand why, as a woman, it is my inalienable right to make choices about my own body. And on the other, someone who gets it, and who knows that we can do better.
Four years ago we dreamed of progress. We voted for a leader who stood up for what was right, a leader who would bring us to a place where all people had equal rights, and who would protect the ones we have already gained.
I want to live in a country where everyone has the same opportunities to build a life, enjoy their liberty and pursue their happiness. This election, that vision only exists with Barack Obama and Joe Biden.
Please be part of the movement that keeps America's progress in progress and its values intact.
Vote to keep our country moving forward. Vote for equality. Vote to reelect President Barack Obama.
ANNE HATHAWAY is an actress and an Obama supporter.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 1 hour 56 min ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2 hours 40 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2 hours 56 min ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM