Trans Teen Murdered in Chicago
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 16 2012 3:44 PM ET
A gender variant teen has been murdered in Chicago a mere three blocks from where Paige Clay, another trans women, was found murdered in April.
Tiffany Gooden, 19, was found in an abandoned building on the city's West Side, according to Windy City Times. Reporter Kate Sosin says that Gooden had sufferered multiple stab wounds and incised wounds and the death has been ruled a homicide.
Brian Turner, an outreach coordinator at Taskforce Prevention and Community Services on the West Side, told Sosin that he wasn't sure if Gooden identified as transgender or used a female name and pronouns exclusively.
Transgender activist Joy Morris told the Times that Gooden and Clay were good friends. Scholar Kay Brown has estimated that 1 in 12 transgender people in the U.S. will end their life as murder victims, the marjority of them transgender women like Gooden and Clay.
More info will be posted as it becomes available.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM