Trans Woman Killed in Hollywood Hit-and-Run
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 28 2013 12:28 PM ET
A 22-year-old transgender woman was killed in Hollywood, Calif., early Saturday morning in a hit-and-run incident. The Los Angeles Police Department is still searching for the driver of a gray or white Ford Thunderbird that was involved in the fatal crash.
Friends say Unique McKenzie was a transgender woman in the process of legally changing her name, and was a well-known fixture in Hollywood's LGBT community. Friends and police suspect that McKenzie slipped and fell into the street in front of a bus stop in the 6700 block of Santa Monica Blvd., around 3:20 a.m. on Saturday.
"The vehicle was unable to stop, and hit the pedestrian," LADP detective Zachary Hutchings told KTLA. "It carried the pedestrian approximately 30 feet before the pedestrian fell off the vehicle."
Friends who were near McKenzie at the time of the accident said the driver didn't even slow down.
KTLA reports that police released a surveillance video of the vehicle they believe is in involved, and are in possession of another video that reportedly shows McKenzie being hit, and the driver continuing on, committing a felony hit-and-run. KTLA also notes that there have been more than 14,000 hit-and-run incidents this year alone in Los Angeles.
Watch KTLA's report below.
- World News Elton John's Weekend Concerts in Russia to Proceed 39 min 14 sec ago
- Entertainment News WATCH: Leslie Jordan 'Go Bold' With Models to Crash Super Bowl 1 hour 56 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 4:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 4:00 AM
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 4:00 AM
- Parenting Q&A: Darren Spedale, Co-Parenting Pioneer, Talks About His Latest Venture December 05 2013 10:40 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM