Trans Woman Killed in Hollywood Hit-and-Run
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 28 2013 1:28 PM ET
A 22-year-old transgender woman was killed in Hollywood, Calif., early Saturday morning in a hit-and-run incident. The Los Angeles Police Department is still searching for the driver of a gray or white Ford Thunderbird that was involved in the fatal crash.
Friends say Unique McKenzie was a transgender woman in the process of legally changing her name, and was a well-known fixture in Hollywood's LGBT community. Friends and police suspect that McKenzie slipped and fell into the street in front of a bus stop in the 6700 block of Santa Monica Blvd., around 3:20 a.m. on Saturday.
"The vehicle was unable to stop, and hit the pedestrian," LADP detective Zachary Hutchings told KTLA. "It carried the pedestrian approximately 30 feet before the pedestrian fell off the vehicle."
Friends who were near McKenzie at the time of the accident said the driver didn't even slow down.
KTLA reports that police released a surveillance video of the vehicle they believe is in involved, and are in possession of another video that reportedly shows McKenzie being hit, and the driver continuing on, committing a felony hit-and-run. KTLA also notes that there have been more than 14,000 hit-and-run incidents this year alone in Los Angeles.
Watch KTLA's report below.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 33 min 15 sec ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 38 min 55 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 1 hour 39 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 1 hour 54 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 hours 14 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM