BY Advocate Contributors
March 10 2011 5:00 AM ET
Originally designed for the rehabilitation of patients with joint problems, Kangoos are high intensity – low impact running and rebound sport shoes, and they’re becoming an international fitness phenomenon. Green’s classes at the New York Health and Racquet Club are always packed, and for good reason. Though the shoes may look gimmicky, the results are undeniable, and the workouts — dance classes, boot camps, or running outside — are endorphin generators. They offer all the benefits of rebounding (jumping on a trampoline) while allowing people—even those who haven’t been able to for years — to run again.
“The shoes are very easy to balance in, safer than in-line skates, and they reduce the impact pressure of running, so they aren’t jarring to the knees or back. They absorb impact by 80%,” Green says, “You burn about 25% more calories than with most other cardio, and because the hardest part is standing still, they are a constant workout for the body’s core. And they’re fun! When’s the last time you smiled on a treadmill?”
Green’s YouTube channel with Kangoo workouts launched last month, and training DVDs are in the works too. An online search can help you locate classes in your area. The shoes retail for around $230, but classes often offer shoes for participants to borrow.
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- Kim Davis to Appeal Contempt Ruling
- WATCH: Deaf Meets LGBT in New Romantic Series
- WATCH: Steve Grand Is Going to Be This Marine's Date to Marine Ball