BY Advocate Contributors
March 10 2011 5:00 AM ET
Originally designed for the rehabilitation of patients with joint problems, Kangoos are high intensity – low impact running and rebound sport shoes, and they’re becoming an international fitness phenomenon. Green’s classes at the New York Health and Racquet Club are always packed, and for good reason. Though the shoes may look gimmicky, the results are undeniable, and the workouts — dance classes, boot camps, or running outside — are endorphin generators. They offer all the benefits of rebounding (jumping on a trampoline) while allowing people—even those who haven’t been able to for years — to run again.
“The shoes are very easy to balance in, safer than in-line skates, and they reduce the impact pressure of running, so they aren’t jarring to the knees or back. They absorb impact by 80%,” Green says, “You burn about 25% more calories than with most other cardio, and because the hardest part is standing still, they are a constant workout for the body’s core. And they’re fun! When’s the last time you smiled on a treadmill?”
Green’s YouTube channel with Kangoo workouts launched last month, and training DVDs are in the works too. An online search can help you locate classes in your area. The shoes retail for around $230, but classes often offer shoes for participants to borrow.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 28 min 38 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 1 hour 1 min ago
- Politics Puerto Rico House Approves Antidiscrimination Bill 1 hour 9 min ago
- Entertainment News Week in Geek: Star Trek Actor Gets Wet and Naked, Justice League, and More 1 hour 57 min ago
- Activism Multimedia Project Addresses LGBT Rights Among Palestinians 2 hours 22 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 3:36 PM
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 2:54 PM