Sam Harris Records Equality Anthem
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 26 2010 2:45 PM ET
Award-winning entertainer Sam Harris has written and recorded “My Reclamation,” a rousing anthem for marriage equality, gay rights, and civil rights. Harris tells The Advocate he was inspired to write the song because people began to rally too late to defeat California’s anti-marriage equality Proposition 8, which was passed in 2008.
“I wrote ‘My Reclamation’ because it is vital that we unite now, rally now, and pool our resources now to prepare for the next step to equality,” he says. “This song is a declaration of rights. It is about faith that unity with triumph over adversity. As a gay man, a husband, father, and musician, I wrote this song to remind myself and others that 'it is not enough just to forward and delete.’ I hope this song moves people. It's a call to action.”
Listen to the song below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder May 24 2013 6:27 PM