Sam Harris Records Equality Anthem
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 26 2010 2:45 PM ET
Award-winning entertainer Sam Harris has written and recorded “My Reclamation,” a rousing anthem for marriage equality, gay rights, and civil rights. Harris tells The Advocate he was inspired to write the song because people began to rally too late to defeat California’s anti-marriage equality Proposition 8, which was passed in 2008.
“I wrote ‘My Reclamation’ because it is vital that we unite now, rally now, and pool our resources now to prepare for the next step to equality,” he says. “This song is a declaration of rights. It is about faith that unity with triumph over adversity. As a gay man, a husband, father, and musician, I wrote this song to remind myself and others that 'it is not enough just to forward and delete.’ I hope this song moves people. It's a call to action.”
Listen to the song below.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 25 min 26 sec ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM