Gay Couple Unf--ks the Gulf
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 27 2010 5:35 PM ET
If a four-letter word comes to mind when assessing BP’s efforts in the Deepwater Horizon Spill that has ravaged the Gulf of Mexico, chances are it’s not going to be fine.
Luke Montgomery opts for fuck. The founder of Good Ideas for Good Causes and a longtime gay rights activist—one who at 19 ruffled President Bill Clinton’s feathers by interrupting his 1993 World AIDS Day speech under the moniker “Luke Sissyfag”—Montgomery recently launched his latest charity campaign, this time focused on the largest environmental disaster in U.S. history.
The name of his mission? Appropriately: “UnF—ck the Gulf.”
“The inception of it was my boyfriend Nate [Guidas] and I were sitting in front of the television screaming 'fuck' every 20 seconds about something that BP was doing, about seeing birds covered in oil,” Montgomery says. “And we knew there were other people screaming 'fuck' at the television 24/7. So let’s take all of this anger and harness it and do something good with it.”
Montgomery and Guidas, who currently live in Redondo Beach, Calif., have had a busy year on the charity front. In February they traveled to Haiti to deliver supplies and to work at the AIDS orphanage Montgomery had previously founded in the coastal town of Jacmel.
UnF—k the Gulf's fundraising efforts center on T-shirt sales, available here. For every $13 shirt sold, the charity donates $5 to environmental organizations, most of them now actively working in the Gulf (donors can vote on who gets the money; remaining revenue covers the cost of production for the shirts and the campaign, Montgomery says).
The abundance of expletives in the duo’s viral video—and particularly the use of children to deliver some of them—has already caught the ire of Bill O’Reilly, who devoted a recent segment on his Fox News show condemning Montgomery for using kids in a F bomb-laden ad.
Montgomery’s response? “It’s patriotic to use the F-word in defense of our shorelines.”
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Dallas Councilwoman Objects to "Homosexual Conduct" in HIV Testing Billboard
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- Senate: ENDA Gains 51st Cosponsor
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood 19 min 39 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos 43 min 12 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 2 hours 4 min ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 2 hours 22 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 2 hours 29 min ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 2 hours 44 min ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 2 hours 55 min ago