Harvey Milk Stamp Promoted
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 29 2011 2:35 PM ET
Several LGBT activists are campaigning for the U.S. Postal Service to issue a stamp honoring Harvey Milk, and one of them says Milk would love it — and find it hilarious.
“He would get that twisted smile of his and say, ‘Hell, imagine all those straights having to lick my backside to send a piece of mail,’” writes David Mixner on his blog, DavidMixner.com.
Mixner says this is nonetheless a serious effort to honor the assassinated San Francisco city supervisor. Leaders of the campaign are Michael Gaffney and Nicole Murray-Ramirez, assisted by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. Others involved include Mixner; Milk’s nephew Stuart Milk; Dustin Lance Black, Oscar-winning screenwriter of Milk; California assembly speaker John Pérez; Milk associate Cleve Jones; and the Reverend Troy Perry.
More information, Mixner says, is available by writing to [email protected]. For Mixner’s full blog post, click here.
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Folk Singer Janis Ian: Bill Cosby Blackballed Me From TV as a Teen
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Katelynn on Caitlyn: I Am Cait Through the Eyes of TV's First Trans Reality Star