Facebook Deletes Gay Kiss Pic
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 18 2011 1:55 PM ET
UPDATED: A photo of two men kissing that was posted on a Facebook page protesting a London pub’s decision to eject a same-sex couple for kissing has been removed by the social networking site, an error, according to a rep for the company.
"The photo in question does not violate our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities and was removed in error," the statement, obtained by America Blog, says. We apologize for the inconvenience"
The Dangerous Minds Facebook page was set up to promote a “gay kiss-in” demonstration in London to protest the pub. The page used a photo of two men kissing to promote the event.
According to NYULocal.com, the photo was quickly removed and the following e-mail was sent to administrators of the Facebook page: “Shares that contain nudity, or any kind of graphic or sexually suggestive content, are not permitted on Facebook.”
The decision to remove the photo has prompted scores of people to post their own pictures of same-sex couples kissing in protest — dozens in the last few hours alone.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 min 15 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 57 min 54 sec ago
- Women WATCH: The L Word's Kate Moennig in Ray Donovan Series Premiere 1 hour 1 min ago
- Crime Man Pleads Not Guilty to West Village Murder 1 hour 9 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out 1 hour 24 min ago
- Politics This Man Wants to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu' 1 hour 38 min ago
- Music WATCH: 'Guess What?' Cazwell's New Video Is Hot! 1 hour 45 min ago