LGBT Pepperdine Students Fight for Recognition
BY Elycia Fishman
January 17 2012 8:14 PM ET
In an effort to make Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif., a safer
environment for LGBT students and allies, an
online petition has been launched by Alexander Cooper, a senior and member of the unrecognized gay-straight alliance group Reach OUT.
The GSA applied November 9 to become an official student organization but was turned down the following month by the Churches of Christ–affiliated university's administrators. In the message accompanying his petition, Cooper said, “This is the fourth time that a gay-straight alliance has been denied or discouraged from applying.”
Cooper launched a Change.org petition over the weekend, and it has received 640 signatures as of Tuesday morning, with a goal of hitting 1,500. The petition urges administrators to consider officially recognizing Reach OUT.
Pepperdine's Office of Student Affairs issued a statement saying that recognizing Reach OUT would “imply to many that Pepperdine is not honoring our affiliation with the Churches of Christ.”
The Western Association of Schools and Colleges' 2011 accreditation report said. “Pepperdine’s ‘climate of ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ prevents it from appearing ‘safe for open discourse.’”
Ironically, students at Pepperdine's school of public policy are encouraged to explore career opportunities with the Gay-Straight Alliance Network, Gay Men's Health Crisis, and the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 54 min 21 sec ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM