LGBT Pepperdine Students Fight for Recognition
BY Elycia Fishman
January 17 2012 8:14 PM ET
In an effort to make Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif., a safer
environment for LGBT students and allies, an
online petition has been launched by Alexander Cooper, a senior and member of the unrecognized gay-straight alliance group Reach OUT.
The GSA applied November 9 to become an official student organization but was turned down the following month by the Churches of Christ–affiliated university's administrators. In the message accompanying his petition, Cooper said, “This is the fourth time that a gay-straight alliance has been denied or discouraged from applying.”
Cooper launched a Change.org petition over the weekend, and it has received 640 signatures as of Tuesday morning, with a goal of hitting 1,500. The petition urges administrators to consider officially recognizing Reach OUT.
Pepperdine's Office of Student Affairs issued a statement saying that recognizing Reach OUT would “imply to many that Pepperdine is not honoring our affiliation with the Churches of Christ.”
The Western Association of Schools and Colleges' 2011 accreditation report said. “Pepperdine’s ‘climate of ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ prevents it from appearing ‘safe for open discourse.’”
Ironically, students at Pepperdine's school of public policy are encouraged to explore career opportunities with the Gay-Straight Alliance Network, Gay Men's Health Crisis, and the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Truly Social Networking
- Women Why You Need to See Demi Lovato's Neon Lights Tour STAT 4 min 26 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Young Repubs Express Big Support for Marriage Equality 23 min 57 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 27 min 52 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 27 min 53 sec ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch CW's Arrow and 'Quiver!' 28 min 3 sec ago
- Politics Kenyan Lesbian Granted Asylum in U.S. 28 min 20 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Methodist Church Drops Charges Against Minister 48 min 58 sec ago