Hawaii Gov. Won't Defend State's Gay Marriage Ban
BY Nick Visser
February 22 2012 1:15 PM ET
Hawaii Governor Neil Abercrombie has refused to defend a constitutional ban against gay marriage in light of a pending lawsuit against the state’s Department of Health, which grants marriage licenses. The state Attorney General’s office said Tuesday it had filed separate responses for both the governor and Health Department director Loretta Fuddy, whose office will be defending its distribution of the licenses, according to the Hawaii Reporter.
A law allowing civil unions for gay couples was passed last year, but Hawaii has had a constitutional amendment against gay marriage since 1998.
“Under current law, a heterosexual couple can choose to enter into a marriage or a civil union,” Abercrombie told the Hawaii Reporter. “A same-sex couple, however, may only elect a civil union. My obligation as Governor is to support equality under law. This is inequality, and I will not defend it.”
Fuddy said her office is charged with implementing the law as it was passed, and as such, will defend the department’s practices.
“Absent any ruling to the contrary by competent judicial authority regarding constitutionality, the law will be enforced. Because I am being sued for administering the law, I will also defend it,” Fuddy said.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Northern Ireland Lifts Ban on Same-Sex Couples Adopting
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM