NOM Social Media, Blog Hacked?
April 11 2012 10:43 AM ET
Unless the nation’s embattled anti-marriage equality group had a startling epiphany on the issue overnight, that appears to be the case.
Good as You’s Jeremy Hooper reported early this morning that the National Organization for Marriage’s Facebook page, Twitter feed, and blog have switched to pro-marriage equality mode, featuring mea culpas on NOM’s wedge tactics between gays and African-Americans, as well as a vow “to turn things around for the better.”
In a blog post at 7:51 a.m., “NOM Staff” wrote, “Truth be told, marriage is about bringing people together, not pushing them apart and that’s exactly what this organization has been about over the past few years.”
NOM’s Twitter account featured tweets including, “Yes, creating a wedge between the black community and #lgbt was wrong. We vow to work on how we address our opponents in the future.”
Meanwhile, the NOM Blog has since been scrubbed of all previous content, replaced with: “Down for maintenance. We'll be back up soon. Thank you.”
Calls for comment from NOM president Brian Brown were not immediately returned. Developing...
Update @ 10:05 a.m.: CRC Public Relations' Elizabeth Ray, who handles media inquiries for the National Organization for Marriage, confirmed that NOM's blog and social media were indeed hacked earlier today and that the group is working to restore its online content.
The hacking incident was particularly ill-timed for NOM, which had rolled out an endorsement of Mitt Romney on Wednesday morning, following Rick Santorum's departure from the GOP presidential race yesterday afternoon.
According to FEC filings, a Romney PAC donated $10,000 to NOM in 2008 during the Prop. 8 battle. The presumptive GOP nominee has since signed NOM's marriage pledge, which, among other criteria, mandates support for a federal marriage amendment barring same-sex couples from the institution.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 1 hour 6 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 2 hours 57 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 2 hours 33 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 2 hours 42 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 2 hours 58 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 2 hours 58 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM