Russian Prime Minister Opposes Gay 'Propaganda' Law
BY Julie Bolcer
December 08 2012 5:24 PM ET
Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev announced his opposition Friday to a pending national version of a “homosexual propaganda” law that has already been enacted in regions including St. Petersburg.
The leader of United Russia said during a TV interview that he believed the bill was unnecessary because “not all relations between people can be regulated by law,” according to Russia Today. He also said that his party, which holds the parliamentary majority, agreed with him.
Medvedev’s comments won praise from LGBT human rights advocates including Lady Gaga. The pop star tweeted, “Thank You Prime Minister Medvedev for not standing by your party's anti gay propaganda law & instead supporting my show+fans all over Russia.”
The bill, which is scheduled for its first hearing next week, targets the “promotion” of homosexuality to minors. Opponents of the legislation have criticized its potential chilling effect on free speech and health care needs.
“Laws that tell you who you can love -- and even what you can say about love -- don’t change who people are,” said Andre Banks, executive director and cofounder of AllOut.org. “If this bill passes, the law would force lesbian and gay Russians, and their friends and families, to live in even fear and isolation.”
Last month, a St. Petersburg court dismissed a $10.7 million lawsuit brought against Madonna by conservative groups who claimed she had violated the law at a concert. Gaga arrived in the city for a performance Saturday.
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's First Pride With Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM