Quebec Launches Antihomophobia Campaign
BY Clea Kim
March 07 2013 9:26 PM ET
Quebec’s Minister of Justice, Bertrand St-Arnaud, is leading the provincial government's fight against homophobia. A new campaign features a series of commercials that challenge citizent to take stock of just how comfortable they are living, working, and supporting LGBT people.
The campaign features two TV commercials in French, as well as one radio commercial in English. It encourages viewers to ask themselves whether they are truly open to sexual diversity.
The TV ads conclude with same-sex couples sharing a kiss, followed by the question: “Does this change the way you thought twenty seconds ago?”
An interactive website was also created to give visitors a chance to examine different situations of individuals with a range of sexual orientations and gender identities, and to help them analyze their own attitudes toward the scenario. After responding to a series of hypothetical scenarios when someone might interact with an LGBT person, visitors can learn more about the different aspect of homophobia, and uncover available resources.
A phone survey of 800 Quebecers discovered that 90% said they had no issue with homosexuality, but 40% felt uncomfortable with same-sex couples being affectionate in public, according to Global News.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- PHOTOS: New Yorkers Combat Violence With Protest
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 52 min 21 sec ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM