Zimbabwean President Wants to Decapitate Gay Men
BY Sunnivie Brydum
July 26 2013 6:50 PM ET
The president of Zimbabwe continued his long record of vicious antigay rhetoric Tuesday, when he told a group of supporters of the nation's ruling Zanu PF party that gay men should be decapitated if they cannot conceive children, according to U.K. LGBT site Pink News.
Speaking before thousands at a rally at Aerodrome, Robert Mugabe said, "If you take men and lock them in a house for five years and tell them to come up with two children and they fail to do that, then we will chop off their heads," according to Zimbabwe's NewsDay.
Mugabe went on to say that gay people are "worse than pigs, goats, and birds." He also reaffirmed previous statements that Zimbabwe would never decriminalize homosexuality, chastising U.S. president Barack Obama for tying international aid to support for the basic human rights of LGBT people.
"This thing [homosexuality] seeks to destroy our lineage by saying John and John should wed, Maria and Maria should wed," said Mugabe, according to NewsDay. "Imagine this son born out of an African father, Obama says if you want aid, you should accept the homosexuality practice. Aah, we will never do that.”
Mugabe has served as president of the southern African nation since 1987, and has a long history of condemning gay people, notes Pink News. Mugabe marked his 88th birthday last year by telling British prime minister David Cameron to "go to hell" for his supportive views on homosexuality.
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM