California Gov. Appoints Two New LGBT Judges
BY Sunnivie Brydum
November 21 2012 4:42 PM ET
California governor Jerry Brown today appointed the first openly gay appellate justice in the state's history, according to the Bay Area Reporter. Brown also appointed out lesbian attorney Paula S. Rosenstein to the San Diego Superior Court.
Among several judicial appointments announced by the governor's office today was that of Jim Humes, a 53-year-old gay man from San Francisco, to serve as an associate justice in the First District Court of Appeals. Humes served as Brown's executive secretary for legal administration and policy since 2011, BAR reports. If confirmed by the Comimssion on Judicial Appointments, Humes will fill a vacancy left by retiring Justice Patricia Sepulveda.
Rosenstein, 52, is a former co-president of the Tom Homman LGBT Law Association in San Diego, and specializes in domestic-partnership and employment issues, according to BAR. If confirmed, Rosenstein, a Democrat, will fill a vacancy caused by the retirement of Judge Linda B. Quinn.
Wrapping out the historic appointments, Brown also named Rosendo Peña as an associate justice on the state's Fifth District Court of Appeals. If confirmed, Peña would be the first Latino justice to serve on the Central Valley's district court.
Read more here.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 19 min 49 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 1 hour 4 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 1 hour 22 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 1 hour 35 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 1 hour 55 min ago
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 2 hours 14 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 2 hours 22 min ago