California Gov. Appoints Two New LGBT Judges
BY Sunnivie Brydum
November 21 2012 4:42 PM ET
California governor Jerry Brown today appointed the first openly gay appellate justice in the state's history, according to the Bay Area Reporter. Brown also appointed out lesbian attorney Paula S. Rosenstein to the San Diego Superior Court.
Among several judicial appointments announced by the governor's office today was that of Jim Humes, a 53-year-old gay man from San Francisco, to serve as an associate justice in the First District Court of Appeals. Humes served as Brown's executive secretary for legal administration and policy since 2011, BAR reports. If confirmed by the Comimssion on Judicial Appointments, Humes will fill a vacancy left by retiring Justice Patricia Sepulveda.
Rosenstein, 52, is a former co-president of the Tom Homman LGBT Law Association in San Diego, and specializes in domestic-partnership and employment issues, according to BAR. If confirmed, Rosenstein, a Democrat, will fill a vacancy caused by the retirement of Judge Linda B. Quinn.
Wrapping out the historic appointments, Brown also named Rosendo Peña as an associate justice on the state's Fifth District Court of Appeals. If confirmed, Peña would be the first Latino justice to serve on the Central Valley's district court.
Read more here.
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 34 min 16 sec ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 56 min 5 sec ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 1 hour 7 min ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 1 hour 20 min ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 1 hour 36 min ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 40 min ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 1 hour 44 min ago