Could a Gay Republican Be L.A.'s Next Mayor?
BY Neal Broverman
February 04 2013 3:47 PM ET
Kevin James, a gay Republican (and not the King of Queens actor), is hoping to be the top dog of Los Angeles, one of America's bluest cities.
James is a long shot in L.A., which not only skews liberal, but is heavily populated by gays, Latinos, and Asian-Americans, groups that all tend to vote Democratic. James tells The New York Times, "Depending on what room you’re in here, sometimes it’s easier coming out gay to Republicans than it is coming out Republican to gays."
A former prosecutor and current radio talk show host, James has raised about $700,000 for his mayoral bid, far less than the two top mayoral contenders. James, 49, hopes to knock out city comptroller Wendy Greuel in the March election, leaving him in a two-way race with popular Hollywood councilman Eric Garcetti, a strong proponent of liberal causes such as gay rights and public transportation. The current mayor, Antonio Villaraigosa, is staunchly liberal and a friend of President Obama — he was easily reelected, even after an infidelity scandal involving a reporter.
While Republicans would love to have a mayor in America's second-largest city, Los Angeles and California as a whole have become more Democratic-leaning in each passing election.
“On the national stage, [James] is the perfect example of the Republican dilemma,” Bill Carrick, a Garcetti consultant, told the Times. “He has to both energize a shrinking base of Republican voters who are decidedly more conservative than the rest of the city’s electorate, at the same time he reaches out to the ultimate Democratic voters. It’s a hell of a challenge.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM