Puerto Rico Governor Signs Local ENDA, Domestic Violence Bills
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 29 2013 1:56 PM ET
Puerto Rico's Democratic governor, Alejandro García Padilla, today formally signed into law a bill that protects LGBT Puerto Ricans from discrimination in employment, reports the Associated Press. Padilla also signed a law that extends domestic violence protections and services to gay and lesbian couples.
Earlier drafts of the antidiscrimination bill, passed by both the House and Senate this month, included discrimination protections in housing, governmental services, public accommodations, and private entities. But those provisions were stripped from the bill after heavy lobbying by religious groups, according to the AP.
Padilla's signature on the domestic violence expansion follows the lead of San Juan mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz, who earlier this month issued a mandate requiring the capital city's police department to provide equal protection and access to such support services to all citizens, regardless of gender identity or sexual orientation.
Padilla campaigned on a platform that included LGBT equality, and indicated early in the legislative process that he would sign the antidiscrimination bill.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 1 hour 55 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM