Even Mitt Romney Wants Jan Brewer to Veto Antigay Bill
BY Lucas Grindley
February 25 2014 7:40 PM ET
Pressure from within Jan Brewer's own party is mounting, with the Republicans' former standard-bearer calling on the Arizona governor to veto the so-called "license to discriminate" bill.
Of course, Mitt Romney didn't use that phrase in his tweet today. Like conservative Arizona senators John McCain and Jeff Flake before him, Romney used the bill number and succinctly called for a veto.
Here are their tweets:
— Mitt Romney (@MittRomney) February 25, 2014
I hope Governor Brewer will veto #SB1062
— John McCain (@SenJohnMcCain) February 24, 2014
I hope Governor Brewer vetoes SB 1062
— Jeff Flake (@JeffFlake) February 22, 2014
McCain elaborated later during an interview with CNN's New Day, saying the law would "hurt the Arizona economy and our image." Indeed, a number of Arizona businesses have called for a veto, including Apple, which recently touted the addition of a new manufacturing plant in the state.
Former George W. Bush political strategist Matthew Dowd, who is now a columnist, made headlines this weekend when he used much stronger language to condemn the pending legislation. As a guest on This Week on ABC, Dowd said, "This is one of those problems when people use religion as a way to sort of enforce discriminatory practices." He went on to compare the law to all manner of extremism. "People used religion back in the 1860s when they defended slavery," Dowd said. "They used religion to defend slavery. We’ve used religion to go to war. People have criticized Islam because they use religion to fight people and kill people. This is the problem with that. In the end I think she vetoes it because there's no way this can survive."
Watch video of that moment via RawStory below:
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 11 min 1 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 34 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 49 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 6 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 24 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 26 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 56 min ago