Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Zachary Quinto, Wanda Sykes, Endorse Obama in Campaign Video
BY Michelle Garcia
October 16 2012 6:21 PM ET
Out celebrities including Wanda Sykes, Zachary Quinto, and Jane Lynch appear in a new five-minute video for the Obama campaign, asking LGBT people to throw their support behind President Barack Obama's reelection bid.
The video begins with Jane Lynch, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Billie Jean King, George Takei, Wanda Sykes, Zachary Quinto, and Chaz Bono talking about their upbringing, about being LGBT, and for some of them, about being closeted for periods of time.
They also tout the accomplishments of the Obama Administration, including the repeal of "don't ask don't tell," hospital visitation rights for same-sex couples, and benefits for partners of government workers. The stars also mentioned President Obama's endorsement of marriage equality in May on ABC News.
"I wept," Sykes said. "I was just so happy because it meant the world to me, and to my family, and the life that my kids will have."
Ferguson got emotional talking about the impact of the president's statements.
"If I was a kid in Albuquerque, N.M., 14 or 15 years old, and I watched the evening news with my parents and the sitting president of the United States said 'I support gay marriage,' that would have been -- it would have changed a lot," he said. "I don't know if he knows how many lives he's changing just by saying that simple thing, but he's saving lives, really. It's very moving, and I wish I had that as a kid, and I'm so happy for the kids that have that now."
The stars then also warned LGBT voters that Mitt Romney winning the presidency may result in the roll-back of certain rights.
Watch the video below:
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Op-ed: Human Sexuality Is More Than Gay And Straight
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 1 min 49 sec ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 29 min 39 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 2 hours 58 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 4:00 AM