Obama Gets Big Applause on The Daily Show for Supporting LGBT Rights
BY Lucas Grindley
October 19 2012 12:26 PM ET
During an interview on The Daily Show on Thursday, President Obama raised his support for LGBT rights as a case for his reelection to the show's young viewers.
"You want a president in the Oval Office whose going to say, 'No, we're not going to amend the Constitution for the first time to restrict rights for gay and lesbian couples," Obama said, earning a big round of applause that interrupted his list of contrasts with Mitt Romney.
Obama said his record is "a strong story to tell," especially on "social issues like 'don't ask, don't tell.'"
Stewart also threw in a few "tougher" questions, like what to do about Joe Biden showing up to meetings in a wet bathing suit. Obama said he'd put an end to it. "I've got to say though," Obama quipped, "he looks pretty good."
Watch the complete interview below.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 46 min 48 sec ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 53 min 48 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 56 min ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 2 hours 13 min ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 2 hours 24 min ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 2 hours 28 min ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 2 hours 44 min ago