Obama Gets Big Applause on The Daily Show for Supporting LGBT Rights
BY Lucas Grindley
October 19 2012 11:26 AM ET
During an interview on The Daily Show on Thursday, President Obama raised his support for LGBT rights as a case for his reelection to the show's young viewers.
"You want a president in the Oval Office whose going to say, 'No, we're not going to amend the Constitution for the first time to restrict rights for gay and lesbian couples," Obama said, earning a big round of applause that interrupted his list of contrasts with Mitt Romney.
Obama said his record is "a strong story to tell," especially on "social issues like 'don't ask, don't tell.'"
Stewart also threw in a few "tougher" questions, like what to do about Joe Biden showing up to meetings in a wet bathing suit. Obama said he'd put an end to it. "I've got to say though," Obama quipped, "he looks pretty good."
Watch the complete interview below.
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'