Obama Gets Big Applause on The Daily Show for Supporting LGBT Rights
BY Lucas Grindley
October 19 2012 11:26 AM ET
During an interview on The Daily Show on Thursday, President Obama raised his support for LGBT rights as a case for his reelection to the show's young viewers.
"You want a president in the Oval Office whose going to say, 'No, we're not going to amend the Constitution for the first time to restrict rights for gay and lesbian couples," Obama said, earning a big round of applause that interrupted his list of contrasts with Mitt Romney.
Obama said his record is "a strong story to tell," especially on "social issues like 'don't ask, don't tell.'"
Stewart also threw in a few "tougher" questions, like what to do about Joe Biden showing up to meetings in a wet bathing suit. Obama said he'd put an end to it. "I've got to say though," Obama quipped, "he looks pretty good."
Watch the complete interview below.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Religion WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse 1 hour 22 min ago
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 1 hour 57 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 2 hours 44 min ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 2:50 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 2:44 PM
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 2:04 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 1:21 PM