Lesbians Can't Get Married Here, Museum Says
BY Lauren Jow
July 13 2012 7:23 PM ET
Ceara Sturgis and her partner, Emily, found the perfect venue for their commitment ceremony: Masonic Hall at the Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum in Jackson.
Perfect except for one thing – the couple can’t get married there.
The state-owned museum rents its facilities to heterosexual couples all the time but has a policy barring same-sex weddings and commitment ceremonies, claiming the ceremonies violate state law.
“We love each other and want to spend the rest of our lives together,” Sturgis said. “Like any other couple, we want to be able to share this special day with our family and friends.”
In defense of its policy, the museum cites a 2009 letter from Attorney General Jim Hood that says the museum can limit the use of its facilities to events considered “legal” by state law. Same-sex marriage is not legal in Mississippi.
But the letter from the Southern Poverty Law Center alleges the policy violates the First Amendment and the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment for viewpoint discrimination and differential treatment, respectively. The ceremony also wouldn’t require the state to recognize the couple as legally married, the SPLC points out.
“As a mother, I have dreamed of giving my daughter the wedding that she desires, and I want her to be able to get married in her hometown in front of our family and friends,” said Veronica Rodriguez, Sturgis’s mother. “We are not asking Mississippi to recognize Ceara and Emily’s relationship, although it should. We are just asking that they have the opportunity to hold a ceremony in a public place – the same as other couples.”
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 41 min 47 sec ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM