WATCH: Anglican Bishop Backs Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
August 24 2012 7:30 PM ET
A senior bishop in the Church of England has recorded a video endorsing marriage equality as part of the Out4Marriage campaign.
“It all comes down to how we see gay people and how we see God,” Bishop of Buckingham Alan Wilson, a straight father of five, says in the video. “We don’t actually believe gay people are sick or stunted or criminal. We don’t believe God is an angry old man out to get us. Let us stop behaving as though we did. Recognizing gay people are equal means they won’t dilute or spoil marriage but potentially enrich it.”
The United Kingdom currently offers civil partnerships to gay couples, but the government is considering legislation to establish marriage rights, something backed by Prime Minister David Cameron. Wilson joins London mayor Boris Johnson, several members of Parliament, and other clergy members in supporting marriage equality.
Some conservative activists objected to the bishop’s stance. “Scripture, the Church of England’s doctrinal foundation, makes clear that homosexual desire and practice are sinful,” Duncan Boyd, chairman of Keep Marriage Special, told London’s Telegraph. “The government should not change the law and the bishop should teach what the Bible says or resign.”
A spokesman for the Church of England reiterated the official stance that marriage should be limited to male-female couples. He added, “Opening marriage to same-sex couples would add nothing to the rights and responsibilities that already exist within a civil partnership.”
Watch Bishop Wilson’s video below.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM