WATCH: California Republican Supports Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
October 12 2012 9:32 PM ET
Gary DeLong, a Republican running for Congress in a new California district, has joined the ranks of those willing to go against the party platform on LGBT rights, ThinkProgress reports.
At a recent League of Women Voters forum, DeLong said, “There’s a number of things I disagree with the Republican Party on. I’m pro-choice. They’re pro-life. I support gay marriage. They don’t.”
DeLong and Democrat Alan Lowenthal, also a marriage equality supporter, are vying to represent the 47th congressional district, created by remapping due to population shifts. It encompasses parts of Los Angeles County, including a portion of traditionally liberal, LGBT-friendly Long Beach, and Orange County, which is historically conservative but has been becoming more diverse and liberal in recent years. It is considered a swing district, ThinkProgress notes.
Watch video of DeLong’s appearance below.
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 2 hours 13 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 7:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 6:30 AM
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM