Ted Haggard Says Same-Sex Marriage Should Be Legal in States
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 19 2012 6:01 PM ET
Ted Haggard, the disgraced-then-revived evangelical Colorado pastor notorious for a 2006 drug and gay sex scandal that saw him booted from the pulpit of the 14,000-member church he helped found, now believes the state should legalize same-sex marriage.
That's what Haggard argued in an online debate Monday with Rabbi Benjamin Hecht, director of Orthodox Jewish think tank Nishma. The pastor, who in 2011 started a small, inclusive church in the basement of his Colorado Springs home, made a nuanced yet affirmative argument responding to the debate prompt, "Should same-sex marriage be allowed by the state?"
"We've reached a point where human dignity and mutual respect is so important," Haggard said in the debate hosted on Deyoon.com, "If someone is dealing with same-sex attraction or homosexuality, and they want someone to be their life partner of the same gender, though we would oppose that in our churches, it should be allowed by the state."
Haggard said that he believes that God's plan for marriage is a heterosexual union between a man and a woman. But Haggard sees a distinction between biblical law and civil law, and says "we need to be careful not to inculcate [biblical law] into civil law."
That's a departure from Haggard's position earlier this year, when in January he appeared on an episode of Wife Swap and said he was "hesitant" about marriage equality.
Watch the entire eight-minute debate here.
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 6 min 51 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 29 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 45 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 2 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 20 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 22 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 52 min ago