WATCH: Morgan Freeman Voices HRC Ad for Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
November 25 2012 12:45 AM ET
Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman narrates a new national advertisement for the Human Rights Campaign, premiering Sunday, that heralds “the dawn of a new day” for LGBT rights, including marriage equality, in America.
The ad will air throughout the week. It features pictures of iconic American scenery, portrays historic civil rights advances, and depicts a variety of families. Freeman proclaims, “With historic victories for marriage, we’ve delivered a mandate for full equality. The wind is at our back. But our journey has just begun.”
In conjunction with the ad, HRC president Chad Griffin issued the following statement: “This year proved to be a pivotal turning point in the movement for marriage equality, and now we press onward with renewed vigor and public opinion squarely on our side. As we continue the march toward full equality in legislatures and the courts, it is crystal clear that the prospect of an equal future is no longer up for debate; the question now is how soon it will arrive. While we celebrate today, we will keep fighting until full equality has reached every single person in every corner of this vast country.”
The ad’s release comes as the U.S. Supreme Court is about to decide whether to hear cases challenging barriers to marriage equality — the federal Defense of Marriage Act and California’s Proposition 8. The court’s members are expected to discuss the cases Friday and announce their decision on whether to take any of them the following Monday, December 3.
The spot was produced by HRC and filmed and edited by the firm of Chi/Donahoe + Cole/Duffey of Portland, Maine. Watch below.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 8 min 44 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM