WATCH: Morgan Freeman Voices HRC Ad for Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
November 24 2012 11:45 PM ET
Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman narrates a new national advertisement for the Human Rights Campaign, premiering Sunday, that heralds “the dawn of a new day” for LGBT rights, including marriage equality, in America.
The ad will air throughout the week. It features pictures of iconic American scenery, portrays historic civil rights advances, and depicts a variety of families. Freeman proclaims, “With historic victories for marriage, we’ve delivered a mandate for full equality. The wind is at our back. But our journey has just begun.”
In conjunction with the ad, HRC president Chad Griffin issued the following statement: “This year proved to be a pivotal turning point in the movement for marriage equality, and now we press onward with renewed vigor and public opinion squarely on our side. As we continue the march toward full equality in legislatures and the courts, it is crystal clear that the prospect of an equal future is no longer up for debate; the question now is how soon it will arrive. While we celebrate today, we will keep fighting until full equality has reached every single person in every corner of this vast country.”
The ad’s release comes as the U.S. Supreme Court is about to decide whether to hear cases challenging barriers to marriage equality — the federal Defense of Marriage Act and California’s Proposition 8. The court’s members are expected to discuss the cases Friday and announce their decision on whether to take any of them the following Monday, December 3.
The spot was produced by HRC and filmed and edited by the firm of Chi/Donahoe + Cole/Duffey of Portland, Maine. Watch below.
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 23 min 20 sec ago
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 1 hour 22 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 2 hours 22 min ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM