WATCH: Morgan Freeman Voices HRC Ad for Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
November 25 2012 12:45 AM ET
Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman narrates a new national advertisement for the Human Rights Campaign, premiering Sunday, that heralds “the dawn of a new day” for LGBT rights, including marriage equality, in America.
The ad will air throughout the week. It features pictures of iconic American scenery, portrays historic civil rights advances, and depicts a variety of families. Freeman proclaims, “With historic victories for marriage, we’ve delivered a mandate for full equality. The wind is at our back. But our journey has just begun.”
In conjunction with the ad, HRC president Chad Griffin issued the following statement: “This year proved to be a pivotal turning point in the movement for marriage equality, and now we press onward with renewed vigor and public opinion squarely on our side. As we continue the march toward full equality in legislatures and the courts, it is crystal clear that the prospect of an equal future is no longer up for debate; the question now is how soon it will arrive. While we celebrate today, we will keep fighting until full equality has reached every single person in every corner of this vast country.”
The ad’s release comes as the U.S. Supreme Court is about to decide whether to hear cases challenging barriers to marriage equality — the federal Defense of Marriage Act and California’s Proposition 8. The court’s members are expected to discuss the cases Friday and announce their decision on whether to take any of them the following Monday, December 3.
The spot was produced by HRC and filmed and edited by the firm of Chi/Donahoe + Cole/Duffey of Portland, Maine. Watch below.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 49 min 23 sec ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 1 hour 23 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 1 hour 23 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 1 hour 23 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM