Illinois Senate Approves Marriage Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 14 2013 3:45 PM ET
Valentine's Day for LGBT couples in Illinois just got a little sweeter, as this morning, the Illinois State Senate voted in favor of marriage equality by a margin of 34-21, according to the Windy City Times.
The Religious Freedom and Marriage Fairness Act now heads to the House, where supporters say passage is not yet assured, according to Windy City.
"The momentum is building," said Rep. Greg Harris, the House sponsor of the legislation, in a statement. "More and more House members are telling me they want to be on the right side of history and that they intend to support the bill. Support for marriage equality is growing nationally and in Illinois, and we’re seeing that reflected in the mood of the House."
Governor Pat Quinn, a Democrat, has been a vocal supporter of the legislation and promised to sign it should it arrive on his desk.
"While this historic day is only half the battle, the Senate today put Illinois on the road to recognizing that, as President Obama said in his inaugural address, 'the love we commit to one another must be equal'," said Equality Illinois CEO Bernard Cherkasov in a statement.
Today's vote means Senate president John Cullerton got his wish to pass the legislation out of his chamber on Valentine's Day.
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- PHOTOS: Brazilian Couples Get Married En Masse
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM