Georgia GOP Chairwoman Says Marriage Equality Is 'Unnatural,' Not About Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
April 01 2013 4:21 PM ET
Georgia Republican Party chairwoman Sue Everhart believes legal marriage equality will prompt straight people to marry their friends in an effort to cheat the government, reports The Marietta Daily Journal. She also said she finds same-sex marriage unnatural, though she acknowledged that her position is politically incorrect.
"Lord, I’m going to get in trouble over this, but it is not natural for two women or two men to be married,” Everhart told the Journal Saturday. "If it was natural, they would have the equipment to have a sexual relationship."
"You’re creating with this child that it’s a lifestyle, don’t go out and marry someone else of a different sex because this is natural," Everhart said, swearing that she is not homophobic. "But if I had a next door neighbor who was in a gay relationship, I could be just as friendly to them as I could be to you and your wife or anybody else. I’m not saying that we ostracize them or anything like that. I’m just saying I’m against marriage because once you get the gay marriage you get everything else.”
Finally, Everhart contended that if the nation embraces marriage equality, legions of straight folks will enter into fraudulent marriages with same-sex friends. This, she contends, proves that the fight for equal marriage rights isn't actually about equality.
"You may be as straight as an arrow, and you may have a friend that is as straight as an arrow," Everhart hypothesized. "Say you had a great job with the government where you had this wonderful health plan. I mean, what would prohibit you from saying that you’re gay, and y’all get married and still live as separate, but you get all the benefits? I just see so much abuse in this it’s unreal. I believe a husband and a wife should be a man and a woman, the benefits should be for a man and a woman. There is no way that this is about equality. To me, it’s all about a free ride."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 2 hours 30 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM