New Zealand Approves Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
April 17 2013 9:56 AM ET
New Zealand’s Parliament approved marriage equality today in the third and final vote required for the legislation’s passage.
Legislators voted 77 to 44 in favor of the bill, and the nation’s governor-general is expected to give it assent, considered a formality. It will take effect within four months, CNN reports.
Louisa Wall, the bill’s chief sponsor, said she is “very proud to be a member of a Parliament that has voted overwhelmingly to give New Zealanders, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, or gender, the right to marry.” In her testimony before the vote, Wall, who is a lesbian, had thanked her “darling” civil union partner, Prue Kapua, for “sharing this journey with me,” The New Zealand Herald notes.
A marriage equality bill also recently passed in Uruguay, where the president is expected to sign it. With the addition of Uruguay and New Zealand, there will be 13 countries with nationwide marriage equality. Three others, including the United States, have legal same-sex marriage in certain states or regions.
Meanwhile, in neighboring Australia, Prime Minister Julia Gillard said the New Zealand vote will not change her opposition to marriage equality. “I doubt we’re going to end up agreeing,” she told The Sydney Morning Herald. Australian gay rights supporters predicted the vote in New Zealand would increase the pressure for marriage equality in their nation and said many Aussies would likely go to New Zealand to marry.
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 26 min 20 sec ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 31 min 25 sec ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 1 hour 17 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 1 hour 23 min ago
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM