Who's Next? The Marriage Equality Waiting Room
BY Michelle Garcia
June 05 2013 2:41 PM ET
18. Nevada, 5.926
The major factor in establishing a marriage equality law in Nevada is time. "The effort in Nevada involves putting a repeal-and-replace initiative on the ballot in 2016, but that has to be passed by the current legislature [as it recently was] and then the next legislature before heading to the voters." When Nevada's state Senate passed the measure, Sen. Kelvin Atkinson came out to his colleagues and constituents in the process, and the state Assembly approved the bill shortly thereafter.
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Rachel Maddow: The Fox News Debate Is 'Rigged'
- First Gay Couple to Wed at West Point Turns Tables on Antigay Attacker
- Op-ed: Are Millennials More Racist Than Antigay?