California City Ousts LGBT Pride Month, Arrests Protestors
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 19 2013 2:43 PM ET
Several activists were arrested in California this week for protesting a meeting of their city council, which voted to reverse a mayoral decree designating June as LGBT Pride Month.
The Huffington Post reports that police removed the protestors from the council meeting in Porterville, a small city located in California’s Central Valley, on Tuesday. The protestors, including Robin McGehee of LGBT direct action group GetEqual, were charged with disturbing the peace at the packed assembly, which debated the recent declaration by the city’s mayor, Virginia Gurrola.
“Why does the LBGT community get special consideration?" Councilman Brian Ward argued. "Why can’t it apply to everyone?"
“Because you hate us!” an audience member screamed. The Recorder, a local news source, recorded the remarks, as well as the audience's “outrage [which] ensued.”
The council voted 3-2 to rescind the LGBT Pride Month proclamation, and, instead, declared June to be “a month of community charity and goodwill to all in Porterville.”
Mayor Virginia Gurrola, who voted to uphold the decree she made following the U.S. Supreme Court’s repeal of Proposition 8, expressed dismay on the council’s decision.
"I looked at the proclamation, and thought that it was good, that we should welcome groups into our community, especially if they feel a need for that recognition," Gurrola told the Huffington Post. "I still stand behind it."
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Fab or Fail? 2013's Cultural Ups and Downs
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill 1 hour 30 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013 2 hours 29 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM