WATCH: Touching Marriage Equality Anthem from 96-Year-Old Actress
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 11 2014 8:00 AM ET
Marsha Hunt was an in-demand film actress in the 1930s and 40s, appearing in 54 films in just 17 years. But when she began speaking out for causes she believed in like freedom of expression, she was labeled a communist and blacklisted, according to a forthcoming documentary about the 96-year-old actress and activist's life.
And though Hunt is now well into her twilight years, she's still fighting to take a stand and make a difference — this time with a touching marriage equality anthem that she hopes will be sung at weddings around the globe.
Hunt wrote the melody to "Here's to All Who Love," performed by Glee actor Bill A. Jones in the video below, more than two decades ago, but the lyrics just came to her in the past year, according to the Facebook page for Marsha Hunt's Sweet Adversity, the documentary exploring Hunt's life that is currently fundraising to complete its production.
With tender, heartfelt lyrics, the song channels Hollywood's golden era, when Hunt was a sought-after star, and feels reminiscent of classic tracks by the likes of Frank Sinatra or Dick Haymes.
The sheet music and lyrics to the song are available on Facebook, but you can get a classy sample of the touching tune below.
"Yes, here's to all the lovers," sings Jones in the clip from Sweet Adversity, "Down with those who hate / Down with all that censure / So biased and irate / But once there's acceptance / Here comes that dove / With peace to all the lovers / And peace to all who love."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 37 min 17 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 1 hour 16 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 1 hour 22 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1 hour 46 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1 hour 55 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 2 hours 1 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 2 hours 44 min ago