Rachel Maddow Explains the Counter-Intuitive Legacy of Westboro
BY Lucas Grindley
March 23 2014 10:20 AM ET
The true legacy of Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church might have been to serve as "an American inspiration," argued Rachel Maddow on her show Friday.
"Who cares, right? Who cares?" she said of Phelps's death and what now happens to Westboro, which she calls a cult. "But there is something important, I think, and worth noting I think now that it's founder has died."
Maddow made the case that in trying so desperately to pressure the right-wing into hating LGBT people all the more, the backlash that Westboro sparked was a unifying element against their beliefs.
(Read a similar case made by Advocate columnist Michelle Garcia)
Watch the video below:
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- Lesbian Couple Worries Antigay Slur on Google Maps is a Hate Crime