Rachel Maddow Explains the Counter-Intuitive Legacy of Westboro
BY Lucas Grindley
March 23 2014 11:20 AM ET
The true legacy of Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church might have been to serve as "an American inspiration," argued Rachel Maddow on her show Friday.
"Who cares, right? Who cares?" she said of Phelps's death and what now happens to Westboro, which she calls a cult. "But there is something important, I think, and worth noting I think now that it's founder has died."
Maddow made the case that in trying so desperately to pressure the right-wing into hating LGBT people all the more, the backlash that Westboro sparked was a unifying element against their beliefs.
(Read a similar case made by Advocate columnist Michelle Garcia)
Watch the video below:
- 14 Camp Classics We Can't Stop Quoting — Bad Girls Edition
- WATCH: Preview of Tomorrow's Supreme Court Argument
- Obama Cracks Marriage Equality Jokes at White House Correspondent's Dinner
- Bruce Jenner's Republican Revelation Draws Anger, Praise
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party