'Don't Say Gay' Bill Sponsor Too Antigay for H.S. Hall of Fame?
BY Michelle Garcia
June 14 2012 3:32 PM ET
A group of residents in Vestal, N.Y., are campaigning for their local high school to remove a Tennessee state senator and former student from its hall of fame, because of his controversial remarks on homosexuality and HIV/AIDS.
Stacey Campfield, who sponsored Tennessee's controversial "don't say gay" bill, graduated from Vestal High School in 1986. He was inducted into the hall of fame in 2008 alongside surgeons, educators, astronauts, and other notable alumni, according to WBIR News. However, Campfield's recent statements on homosexuality and his sponsorship of the bill have students and fellow graduates lobbying the Vestal board of education to remove him from the hall of fame.
Nisha Dalvie, a senior, wrote a front-page editorial in the school newspaper calling Campfield's words and actions "abusive," and urged administrators to stand up to discrimination.
"Senator Stacey Campfield's unabashed homophobic rhetoric and his blatant ignorance regarding how AIDS is transmitted serves only to oppress, hurt, and diminish the dignity of other human beings while at the same time fueling the cause of bullies everywhere," educator John Perricone, class of 1977, said according to WBIR.
Campfield, responding to the controversy, wrote a letter to the local newspaper, the Press & Sun-Bulletin. "While I do not hate them, I do not support sodomy," he wrote. "The homosexual lifestyle is dangerous and deadly."
Superintendent Mark LaRoach said the controversy should invite an open discussion, but has indicated that Campfield will not be removed from the hall of fame.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs 38 min 41 sec ago
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy 41 min 43 sec ago
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM