Wayne Besen Takes on Antigay Founder of 'God Has A Better Way'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 01 2012 3:39 PM ET
Wayne Besen, founder of Truth Wins Out, an organization set on debunking the "ex-gay" myth, took on antigay Dr. Michael Brown, who runs a campaign claiming "God Has A Better Way" than homosexuality. On Friday's edition of The David Pakman Show, a cable and satellite network news and political talk show, Besen and Brown accused each other of inciting violence and vitriol against their opponents.
"What [Brown] does is he incites people to violence in my view," said Besen on the program. "Just look at his rhetoric... I think it's this combination of militaristic language and the demonizing of a minority that sparked my view of Dr. Brown."
"I also believe that he comes across here as very nice and kind, but again, it's a fraud," Besen continued, as Brown smiled on the split-screen Skype video conference.
For his part, Brown stops just short of joining other conservative pundits who alleged that Besen is partly responsible for the August 15 shooting at the Washington, D.C. office of the antigay Family Research Council.
"What concerns me is this - when [Besen] writes that the people at FRC loathe homosexuals," said Brown in his opening volley on the program. "Or when, after my group last year gives out 2,500 bottles of water, saying 'Jesus Loves You' at a gay pride event here in Charlotte, that he writes about me that I'm a 'pathological monster called to incite violence against LGBT people...' I feel that that unnecessarily inflames things."
Brown is a controversial evangelical Christian whose "God Has A Better Way" campaign made headlines in the LGBT community when nearly 1,000 supporters arrived in red T-shirts at Gay Pride in Charlotte, N.C. last year. The protestors' stated goal was to "walk through or surround the [Charlotte Gay Pride] event to evangelize, sing, pray, hand out water and reach out with love to those in attendance while resisting the gay agenda."
CORRECTION: The David Pakman show is a nationally syndicated program that is available to interested public access channels, but is also carried by DirecTV and DISH Networks.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because Weâ€™re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 1 hour 41 min ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 2 hours 41 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because Weâ€™re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM