What This Author Is Passionate About
BY Advocate Contributors
July 09 2012 4:00 AM ET
… Girls Scouts of America.
I was overjoyed when I heard 7-year-old trans kid Bobby Montoya was finally permitted to join her local Girl Scout troop. The Girl Scouts were a big part of my childhood. My record-setting cookie sales aside, it’s where I learned about serving others. There may have been some backlash about Bobby’s inclusion, but I’m not sure what we as a nation expect from our teenagers, both bullies and victims, when we tell 7-year-olds that they don’t belong. GSoA believes that all children should be able to participate in their community. Support that mission and donate, volunteer, or buy some Samoas. GirlScouts.org
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- Holder's Final Vow to Supreme Court: Uphold Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Think Before You Tweet 'Homophobe'