A Fine Tune
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 13 2012 4:00 AM ET
The global success of the show led to Moore helming the 2005 Broadway revival of Steel Magnolias, Shrek, and even a 2008 Carnegie Hall concert performance of Jerry Springer — The Opera. It’s no wonder that Moore responded to the source material for the musical Armistead Maupin’s Tales of the City, which he directed in a short but acclaimed run in San Francisco in 2011. He plans to stage the show on Broadway within the next two years. But for now Moore is content to keep in tune with Pitch Perfect. It’s a triumphant roll that will undoubtedly continue with the October release of the film, which bears favorable comparison to other gay-adored outsider-themed comedies such as Heathers, Bring It On, and Mean Girls. Based on a novel by gay writer Mickey Rapkin, the new film certainly continues the outsiders theme apparent in Moore’s previous work.
While not exceedingly political — Moore jokes that he’ll never be found kissing in front of Chick-fil-A — the director says he doesn’t necessarily feel a responsibility to tell specifically gay stories, but he does respond strongly to material that features LGBT characters. For example, Pitch Perfect’s female a cappella group includes a lesbian who is initially mistaken for a man. “You’ve got 10 girls, one of them’s got to be a lesbian, you know,” he offers with a chuckle. “There’s some funny running jokes about her, but I believe that we should be able to make fun of ourselves and everybody should be made fun of. That’s comedy to me, no one’s above reproach.”
Watch a clip from Pitch Perfect below.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 3 min 31 sec ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 28 min 25 sec ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 39 min 8 sec ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 43 min 45 sec ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 59 min 45 sec ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 1 hour 3 min ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 1 hour 16 min ago