Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 3:30 AM ET
- from McGraw, N.Y.
- pursuing a PhD in social work/social services at the University of Alabama
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change or help your future?
The Point Scholarship will allow me to devote increasing care and time to my studies, and will enable me to balance my work, school, and personal life. Without Point, I likely would be working two jobs and commuting to school, all while taking a full PhD course load. I anticipate that the connections I make with others in the Point family can help me offer necessary resources to Mississippi LGBTQ youth.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make difference in the LGBT community?
I hope to continue my work with the LGBTQA youth in Mississippi and in the Deep South. My goal is to be an ambassador for Point, showing youth that there is a large and supportive queer community that invests in the leadership and education of queer and ally people across this country.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Hot Sheet: Openly Serving, Openly Loving
- t.A.T.u. Singer OK with Lesbians, But Being Gay Is 'Unmanly'