Pepperdine University Introduces LGBT Scholarship
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 14 2013 7:36 PM ET
Pepperdine University, a California college affiliated with the Church of Christ, announced Tuesday that it would begin accepting applications for a scholarship to be awarded to students "whose academic or personal involvement has demonstrated a commitment to the health of the LGBT community," according to a press release.
Named the "Frank James 'Buddy' Vinci and George B. Ellsworth Scholarship," the need-based scholarship will be awarded to students who have demonstrated their commitment to the betterment of the LGBT community, according to the release. Administrators awarding the scholarship will seek candidates who emphasize "actual service, volunteerism, or extra-curricular activities" dedicated to improving the mental or physical health of the LGBT community.
This signals a potential change in course for the Malibu, Calif., university, which has a reputation for being a conservative and unfriendly to LGBT students. Pepperdine has come under fire by LGBT activists in recent years, as a student-led Gay-Straight Alliance seeking official recognition was repeatedly rejected by university administrators who told students the club "is not supportive of the university's traditional Christian teachings regarding homosexuality."
Pepperdine will accept applications for the scholarship through March 31, which happens to be Easter Sunday.
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM